Thursday, January 14, 2010

Aunt Sylvia's Pecan Pie

Before Christmas, Bruce wanted me to get his Aunt Sylvia's recipe for pecan pie. Up until Wednesday, I had never made a pecan pie. I don't like nuts, therefore, I do not make desserts that call for nuts. Except for peanut brittle. I like peanuts.

ANYWAY! Aunt Sylvia gave me her recipe and I've been holding on to it for a couple of months now, I think. We were so busy during the holidays I just never got around to it.

I make my own pie shells and started on Monday but wasn't able to get to the actual making of the shells until Wed morning.

The recipe for the pie shells is:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup chilled crisco + 1 TBS
2 to 3 TBS ice water

Chill shortening in the fridge for a few hours. Using a fork (or pastry cutter), cut shortening into flour and salt, adding ice water a little at a time until ball forms. Separate ball in two. Roll out to nine inch pie shells or whatever size you need.

I love the Paula Deen board and rolling pin Bruce got me for Christmas. :)


Roll each ball of dough on a well floured surface.


Place in pie plate. I love my Good Will pie plate too. LOL

Aunt Sylvia's recipe for pecan pie is:

3 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
3/4 c LIGHT corn syrup (Aunt Sylvia stressed that this was the best to use. NOT THE DARK)
2 TBS melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Mix all ingredients, top with chopped pecans. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or until firm in the middle.

Normally you would use whole pecans in the pie, but Aunt Sylvia always chops hers and that's what Bruce liked about it. The food processor chopped these perfectly!


The finished product!

As I said before, I don't do nuts, but this turned out good and I did have a slice. It was very good, if I do say so myself. And it is all gone!! Bruce got the last little bite before he went to work Wed night and he was a happy, happy man!