Thursday, April 9, 2009

Daddy's Heart Cath

I rolled out of bed at 4:30 yesterday morning and my brother, John, was here to pick me up by 5:15. He and I were taking daddy for his heart cath in Charlotte.

Charlotte has a nice skyline at night.

Charlotte is also a crazy city to drive in. I don't like it at all. But we did make it to the hospital just in time to get daddy checked in.

Here he is riding on the elevator. Doesn't he look happy?

Dazed and confused, John?

John brought some interesting books to read while we waited for daddy to be called.

It wasn't long until they did call him and got him checked in and such. This is daddy and Stacey.

Daddy and Tracey.

Being given the "once-over"....for the hundredth time. lol

Daddy and meeeeee!

Daddy passed out so John decided to see what was in his wallet. It wasn't long after that, John treated me to a wonderful breakfast in the cafeteria.
(for all of you out there wondering, this was staged.)

Brother Johnny made a special trip to check on daddy. It was very sweet of him to come. He really didn't have to but wanted to make sure everything was going to be all right.
Thank you, Brother Johnny!

Nurse Patti was funny. She had a good sense of humor. I liked her.

As we waited for the results of daddy's heart cath, he was happy to have a couple packs of crackers and a ginger ale. He hadn't eaten anything since 6:00 the night before and it was almost 10:00 here.

The student nurse was a sweetheart. She was doing great. Although daddy did pick on her a little bit. As you can imagine!

Daddy hates needles. So I was glad they were able to draw his blood without having to stick him again.

We finally got the results. The doctor said his heart looked wonderful. He said to imagine a tree, the heart being the trunk. The trunk, itself, looked strong and healthy, however all the little branches from the trunk were diseased from his diabetes. This report wasn't the best. The doctor said that it's likely the transplant center will turn him down because of it. Not exactly the news he wanted to hear. But you know, God is God if daddy gets a kidney and God is God if he doesn't. Either way, God is good.

John helped daddy get dressed...

...and put his socks and shoes on him.

And then it was time to take out the IV. Oh, JOY!

The man that took daddy down to the parking garage was funny. Although he did do something that wasn't very funny. But I'm not going to share that little tid-bit.

And then we were back in the daylight! Check out that pretty blue sky!

Daddy was a bit hungry so John treated us to lunch atHill Billy's BBQ. I love that place. I haven't been there in ages so it was nice to go.
Thank you, John! It was yummy!!

We walked in and daddy looked at this wooden soldier and said, "Table for three, please." His sense of humor reminds me of The Three Stooges or Laurel and Hardy.

The smell was excellent and made you hungry...even if you weren't.

My big brother. :)

Mmmm, hushpuppies!

And more hushpuppies.

I am very picky about my chili. But John ordered us all a small apetizer of their chili, loaded with onions and sour cream. It was delish! Thanks for making me try it, John! I had the beef BBQ plate.

While we ate, there were some police detectives sitting near our table. We didn't realize they were former co-workers of daddy's, until we got up to leave. It was nice to see them. This is Captain Farley.

And Officer Rainey.

We returned home to mom, who was very sick. So sick that her eye was swollen shut. Bless her heart! But John brought her home chili and a BBQ plate. That seemed to help her feel better.
It was a good morning/afternoon out with daddy and John. Like always, tons of laughs and giggles.