Our Pastor was preaching a fiftieth anniversary for another church Sunday night and our associate pastor was very sick, unable to preach, leaving the pulpit open for Brother Troy. Troy is one of my most favorite preacher boys. He has the type of character that "....maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him." Although I don't think he has any enemies. He's just one of those people that if you WERE going to be his enemy, it sure would be hard to do. lol Everybody likes Troy and we love him around these parts.
I took notes on his sermon last night and thought I would share them here. The Holy Spirit dealt with my heart, for sure. I hope the notes are a blessing to you as much as his sermon was for me. That's all I will say. The rest is straight from Brother Troy....
Joshua 24:1-15, text vs 15 "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve. whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
1. It is an urgent choice to serve he Lord. Not tomorrow, not a few days from now, not when we're ready, but NOW. "Choose you THIS DAY..."
2. It is an unbiased choice to serve the Lord. What have the gods of this world done for us? Nothing at all. What has God almighty done for us? Everything.
3. It is an undaunted choice to serve the Lord. We need to make the decision to serve the Lord in the good times and in the bad times.
4. It is Unpopular choice to serve the Lord. Not everyone will choose to serve God. Believing Jesus Christ is the only way to Heaven in unpopular, but it is right.
Why can't we have it both ways? Why can't we be called a Christian and live like the world?
1. We have a command to serve the God. We must yield our flesh to God. Why?
a. it affects our allegiance. Does our allegiance lie with the King of King or with the world?
b. it affects our associations. We're suppose to come out from among them.
c. it affects our attire. We're to put on the uniform of the Lord.
d. it affects our actions. Do all to the GLORY OF GOD.
e. it affects our aims. The things we desire, are they of the Lord or of the world? Are our aims directed toward the things of Christ.
2. Caution to observe. God is Holy and will not allow you to get by with sin. Because He is a jealous God, He will not allow you to serve and live in sin. We need to avoid things that offend God. you can not have it both ways. Why?
a. because sin will hinder our service
b. because sin hinders our prayers.
3. Consequences to obtain. (Deuteronomy 11:26) We get a blessing or a curse, depending on who we choose to serve.
(II Corinthians 5:9-10) Our sins, as Christians, will not be judged at the judgement seat of Christ. But we will be judged in our service for Him. And if we are in sin, our service is hindered, which will affect the rewards we will receive to give back to Christ.
(Revelation 20:11-15) Is your name in the book of life? Have you accepted Christ as your Savior? Whom will you choose to serve THIS DAY?
"Sin does not affect our relationship to God. But sin will affect our fellowship with God."