Sunday, October 26, 2008

If It Can Happen.....

It'll happen to me!

My car has one of those keys with a computer chip in it. You can't just buy an extra key for the doors either. It has to be a key with a computer chip in it. I have only one key for my car. Yes....one! Did you hear me? ONE!

I stopped at the local One Stop after church to put gas in my car, which I only have one key for. Hannah and Harrison were sitting in the back seat. My game plan was to run in the store, pay for my gas, put gas in my car (which I only have one key for) and go home to spend time with my husband before he had to leave for work.

So much for the game plan.

I ran into the store, paid for my gas, and as I came out of the store, I saw both of my children exit the car (which I only have one key for), slamming the doors behind them. Apparently, Hannah wanted gum. She didn't stop to think about my only key being in the ignition. OH yeah! Did I mention my lights were on?

Thankfully, a family from our church pulled in just in time to see the look of horror and the I'm gonna beat my children look on my face. Brother Mike figured standing between me and my cubs would save them. And it did. Momentarily.

We called my parents, who were on their way home from my brother's house. They were coming to the rescue. In the meantime, there were some real characters gazing inside of my car (which I only have one key for) and each one asked the same question, "Whadya do? Lock your keys in the car?" My verbal response was, "Yes" but my thought response was, "Duh."

There was a car with some shady lookin' fellows that pulled up but seemed to be genuinely concerned about the car. It's not exactly the BEST neighborhood to be stuck in, if you know what I mean. So with our church friends and my parent's there they tried to unlock the doors to my car (which I only have one key for). They left to go home for some hangers and said they'd be right back. Sure enough...they were. Bruce pulled in shortly thereafter. I prayed and prayed some more as I watched Bruce work on one door and the stranger work on the other door.

Brother Mike's solution was to take his shoe off and break a window. Fortunately it didn't come to that.

After about an hour, I saw my front door open. YAY!!!!! Everyone cheered.

Bruce and I gave the stranger some money for his efforts and off they went. They were so nice to stop and lend a hand.

One of the other strangers told me that a locksmith should be able to make a key for my car (which I only have one key for) for a fraction of the cost the dealership would charge. I'll be looking into that tomorrow. Either way, I'm getting a new key!

OH, and yeah....the lights caused my battery to go low and Bruce had to jump the car off.

Speaking of my car.....did I mention I only have one key for it?