Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Am What I Am And Here's Why

I had commented on a friend's 25 Random Things About Me the other day. The last thing they wrote about themselves was "Organized religion can really really tick me off if I let it."

My reply, "I do not believe in organized religion, however, I do believe in conviction. Therefore, I am saved by the grace of God and an Independent Fundamental Baptist by conviction."

Later, I was asked by another friend who had read that comment, "What are Independent Fundamental Baptist convictions?"

My reply to him was, "...I probably should have just said that I am Baptist by conviction because of my doctrinal belief. But there are so many different baptists out there, I chose to identify myself with what I am and that is an Independent Fundamental Baptist..."

Now that I have set all of this up, I have decided to do a series of posts on my Baptist heritage and convictions. I don't know how long these posts will lasts, but I do believe it is important for all of us, Baptist or not, to know why we are what we are and to be "...ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh..." I Peter 3:15

It's funny because this topic was somewhat brought up on the snow tubing trip with the new couple that's been coming to church. There were some similarities between Joy and Bruce and how they were brought up and how the transition from one denomination to another took place in their lives.

I have always been Independent Fundamental Baptist. I was IFB when I was little because, well quite frankly, that's what my parents were. Now that I am an adult I am IFB for my own reasons. Most of which are by convictions and standards.

My standards may not be the same as yours. They do not make me a better Christian than you, nor do your standards make you a better Christian than me. They are my standards because God has dealt with me in areas of my life that I need to work on and, therefore, I may or may not do something the same way you would or would not. Just like He has dealt with areas in your life that you need to work on and, therefore, you may or may not do something the same way I would or would not. And that's ok. The Bible says in Philippinans 2:12, "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling."

My convictions are what I am willing to lose my family over. Lose my friends over. Go to jail for. Die for. Which I'll elaborate on that in the series of posts I'll be much in prayer over!

These posts will not be to put out here to make any of my non-IFbaptist friends and family feel I am better or "more saved" than you. But rather answer the question for those who are wondering and also for myself as to why I am what I am.