Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day at the Texas Roadhouse!

First of all...I did it y'all. I cut out my curls today. Can you believe it? Truthfully, they're still there, but I had my hair cut and straightened today. I like it so much better than my curls. Missy is the best!!


I told you the other day I won a dinner at the Texas Roadhouse for an essay I had written. They were having a contest and I entered the essay, honestly not expecting to win. I just liked writing our story. Anyway, tonight was the night we received the award for that it was the tastiest award I've had yet. LOL

Hannah took this pic of me and my Valentine. Good one, huh?


She took this one while he was talking. It just cracked us up so I thought I'd share it with you too.


This one is out of order somehow, but OK...

Me and my sweetheart.


We got tickled at this one too because he looks like a chicken ready to peck my head.


I played with the camera on the way and took some silly pics. This is Bruce singing with the radio.


Me


Hmmmm


Bruce says this is a "Hannah smile."


Blowing kisses at my Darlin'.


Final destination: Texas Roadhouse. We didn't have to wait in line at all. As soon as I told the young lady at the desk our name, she knew exactly who we were and they seated us immediately. Cool, huh?

I was totally shocked to see they had rose petals and little lighted candles on the table. I wasn't expecting that.


They also had this beautiful bouquet of flowers.


And balloons! We felt special that the servers would stop and say hi and congratulations to us. They were all so nice!


The waitress was kind enough to take our picture.


They started us with an appetizer of yeast rolls and cheese fries. Yum! We chose the 12 oz Ribeye smothered in onions, mushrooms, and cheese with loaded baked potato and salad.

Bruce enjoying his meal!


This was the manager and she was wonderful. Very sweet. She made sure everything was just right and romantic for us while we enjoyed our meal. Hopefully she'll remember what I wrote my blog addy on and see these pics.
Thank you so much for a wonderful evening. We love your restaurant and will definitely be back!

Me


This was Brandi. She was our waitress and she was GREAT! I don't think our glasses were empty at all. She was quick with the food too, making sure everything was to our liking. GREAT waitress! We made sure she had a GREAT tip! She deserved it.


Bruce and I were so full, but still managed to share a slice of strawberry cheesecake.

We had such a great time. If y'all have a Texas Roadhouse near you, be sure to stop by and order some of their yummy food. I know you'll love it!
Thanks again, Texas Roadhouse for a wonderful evening. We had a really good time and everything was PERFECT!

Going home


Here's a better shot of the flowers. Aren't they lovely?

OK, so several people asked me to show my essay. I would have shown it to you sooner, but I wanted to wait until our dinner. So for all you inquisitive minds.....here ya go!

I was working at Harris Teeter while in high school. I was in a horse riding accident and was out of work for several weeks. My first day back I was ringing up a customer and just felt like someone was staring at me. I looked up and there was this new guy standing at the time clock getting ready to punch out. Sure enough, he was the one staring!

Being the feisty red head that I am, I snarled my nose and asked, "What are you looking at?" He just smiled a goofy smile and shrugged his shoulders. I shook my head and went about my business.

Little did I know that he was going to go home and tell his mom he had met the girl he was going to marry. Regardless of the fact that his dad told him to NEVER get involved with a red head!

From that day on, Bruce became a thorn in my flesh. He was a stock boy but every chance he had, he would make his way to my register to bag groceries and bug the hound out of me. Asking me out every few minutes. Telling the customers that he knew he was going to marry me. Blah, blah blah! It was so annoying.

I told my mom about him. She just laughed.

I finally had enough of this bag boy and decided to talk to my manager about him. I told Mr. Smith that if Bruce Morrow did not leave me alone I was quitting my job because I just couldn't deal with him every single day. Mr. Smith was nice about it and said he would talk to Bruce for me.

Shortly thereafter, Bruce came to me and apologized. "Kristi, I'm sorry for bothering you. I promise I won't talk to you any more. I just really liked you."

At first I was happy that he actually got the point. However, several days passed without even a hello from him. This bothered me as much as him talking non stop to me. I remember laying in bed at night not being able to sleep and thinking how rude he had been.

I told my mom about it. Again, she just laughed.

One day I decided to speak to Bruce about him not speaking to me. I told him he did not have to totally ignore me. A hello would be nice. Even a simple wave would be something. Just some kind of acknowledgement. Anything! He did start telling me hello. Eventually his hellos became more and he asked me out one more time. I told him I would go out with him if he would go to church with me and my family. He came! I was really surprised. That same Sunday after church, we walked the battleground at Kings Mountain state park. He walked me to a clearing overlooking a beautiful valley and asked me to wear his high school ring. I accepted it. I became his girlfriend March 12, 1989.

The first time he told me he loved me, he blurted it out in front of a customer at work. My eyes grew big when I looked up at him and his eyes were big too. Neither of us could believe he had just said it. Especially since his dad had always told him to "NEVER tell 'em you love 'em!" I thought it was cute that Bruce was blushing.

Our first kiss was in the break room of Harris Teeter. We were reading the newspaper together and our heads were getting closer and closer the longer we read. Finally, we turned to look at each other and it happened. He kissed me. And I kissed him right back! During this wonderful, very first kiss, we heard Mr. Smith's voice ringing behind us, "You better tell that Bruce Morrow to leave me alone or I'm going to quit." We all looked at each other with big smiles. Mr. Smith rolled his eyes and walked away. We continued kissing!

Bruce left for the Air Force two months later. What should have been a time of dates and getting to know each other was filled with lots of letters and phone calls. He graduated from Satellite Communications School in Biloxi, Mississippi, leaving for Germany soon after. But it wasn't long before he called to say he was coming home. He was home for a month and on February 13, 1990, we walked the battleground once again. We had not walked the battleground since he asked me to be his girlfriend. He walked me to that same clearing, overlooking that same beautiful valley, bent down on one knee and asked me to be his wife, replacing his class ring with an engagement ring.

We were married December 22, 1990.

It's been eighteen wonderful years with the good and the bad. And I wouldn't trade a single day for another.