Saturday, May 5, 2012

To Be or Not To Be.....Baptized?

While we were in Murfreesboro, Tennessee with the youth group, Brother Tony Hutson shucked some corn on being baptized.  I have a confession.  I have not been baptized since I was saved at the age of fourteen.

I've thought about it over the years, but never talked with anyone about it.  In my heart, I knew that I should have been baptized, but I just figured so many years had passed it just didn't matter any more. 

I do not believe that you MUST be baptized to enter into Heaven, I Peter 3:21.  I do believe that baptism by submersion is a sign to others that you are following Jesus Christ in his death, burial, and resurrection.

To make a long story short, after hearing Brother Hutson's sermon on baptism, the Lord has been dealing with me about it.

This past Sunday morning, my Pastor made mention that he was baptising this coming Sunday night.  Well, this week, Harrison told me he heard Pastor say that and he was ready to get baptized.  So we talked about it and he answered the questions I asked him and I felt confident that he was, indeed, ready to get baptized.  Spoke to Pastor about it Wednesday and Harrison is all set for baptism Sunday night.

I also talked to Pastor about myself.  I was baptized at age five, but never felt conviction to salvation until I was fourteen years old.  That was when I gave my heart to Christ.  So when I was baptized at five, I really just got wet.  After talking to Pastor, I will also be getting baptized Sunday night.

Another confession is that I am afraid of water.  I can swim, but I never do.  The devil is really using the thought of someone putting me under water to scare me.  But, thankfully, Pastor assured me he hasn't lost one yet.  LOL

Yes, to be baptized.  My son and I will be taking the plunge together...no pun intended.
:)

Romans 6:4 "Therefore, we are buried with Him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."