Thursday, May 10, 2012

Marriage Defined

So how 'bout that NC vote FOR Amendment One? 
Actually, how about all the hubbub surrounding it?  I haven't watched the news once about it yet.  But I sure have seen a lot of smack talk and jeering on facebook.  It's really been something to watch...and participate in.  I would expect the smack talk and jeering from the world, but I've been most disheartened by those professing Christianity.  Apparently, "the church" is divided on the issue as well.
Say Whaaa???
Who would have thought we would see the day when the church was divided on the definition of marriage?  All because we don't want to offend the sodomite. 
In a recent discussion with someone claiming Christianity, they proudly admitted they were against Amendment One and found me using the word "sodomite" to be offensive.  Well, yes, I must agree that I am sure it was very offensive to her.  God's Word is always offensive to those who do not wish to live by it.  And the word "sodomite" is God's word, not mine.  If you look up the word in the dictionary, it plainly tells who and what they are.  Look up "gay" and it waters it down to keep the sodomite comfortable in their sin.  The biggest mistake the church has made, thus far, is trying to appease the pew sitter. 
Jesus never said anything to help the sinner be comfortable.  He never made them feel they were loved by Him, therefore, it was ok to stay in their sin.  No, when Jesus came on the scene, there was always a change in lives.  It was never "come as you are, leave how you were" with Him.  It was "come as you are, leave your sin behind forever."
Somewhere along the way, the pulpits across this nation have become nothing more than a drive thru of fast food TEACHING.  Because, obviously, the PREACHING of God's Word is no more.  If it were, the church would not be divided on the issue of Amendment One. 
You know, Bruce and I have sodomites in our family.  We have couples in our families living in adultery and fornication.  But we still love them.  We want and desire God's best for them.  But does our love exceed God's will?  A better question to ask the church is, does CHRIST'S love EXCUSE His will?
No, I do not believe it does.
God is against homosexuality.  As a matter of fact, there are many sins mentioned in the Bible, only a few say they are an abomination.  Homosexuality is one of them (Lev 20:13).  Abomination means that God DESPISES them.  Does that mean God measures our sin on a scale of one to ten?  No.  But it does mean there are some sins that He absolutely despises.  And if God DESPISES it, should the church not despise it also? 
Does this mean we should hate the homosexual?  No, of course not.  God loves them and so should we.  But we should also despise the sin, as our Heavenly Father despises the sin also.
Many Christians who voted against the Amendment said they were doing so because they wanted to protect the rights and freedoms of those who do not believe the way Christians do.  On the surface, I suppose that sounds good.  I mean, shouldn't all good Americans want to protect rights and freedoms?  I know I do.  But if going against God and Christ's teachings means I can't vote according to Scripture and my conscience... well, let's just say I'd rather cast my vote as a citizen of Heaven than one of America.  
I don't care what other people say, this country was founded by men and women who wanted the freedom to worship as they chose and they did not want anyone telling them how to worship.  BUT!  Those men and women also founded this country on the Word of God.  You don't have to be a Christian to live here.  You don't have to believe everything we believe.  But we were...ARE...a Christian nation.  
Christians in NC did not make a law banning same sex marriage.  Law makers did.  Christians did not help write Amendment One.  But we sure did help it into our state constitution.  And I am proud to be a North Carolina girl because of it.
North Carolina is the thirty-first state to pass this Amendment to our state's constitution.  Which leaves nineteen states open to anyone wishing for a homosexual union.  'Nuff said.
It is my right, as an American citizen to cast my vote.  Even if the Amendment had not passed, I would have been thankful for the opportunity to live in a democracy, where the people have the say.  
And the people have spoken.  
Not as many Christians as I would have hoped and thought.  As a matter of fact, I can't even imagine the margin of percent had Christians voted God's mind instead going AWOL on Him and voting their own
(Prov 3:5-6) 
But the people have spoken, none the less, and so God has blessed. 
If God can use Gideon and only 300 men to win a war against thousands, well, obviously He can do the same today.