Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend, 2012

Bruce and Justin, both, worked first shift Friday, so we started our Memorial Day weekend that evening.  It was so good being together as a family for four days in a row.  Doesn't happen here much any more.
Saturday morning we loaded up the cars, along with my mother and our Tater-bug, and headed up the road to our friend's home.  It has been so long since our families have been together.  As a matter of fact, they've had the marriage of their oldest son, three grand babies, and another one on the way since we saw them all last.
We had a wonderful day.  The weather was beautiful.  The food was delicious.  And the fellowship was a blessing.

Sunday, we had two good services.  Pastor and Mrs. Ava were on vacation this weekend with their family.  So Brother Johnny preached both services and, as usual, did a great job.  I love to hear him preach.  He preached both services on "I'm A Basket Case.  But It's A Good Thing."
I did get tickled at him one time.  He's been dieting and somehow a livermush biscuit was brought up.  Come to think of it, a livermush biscuit is often brought up when he preaches.  haha 
Anyway, he said, "When I reach that magic number, I'm gonna have me a livermush biscuit in this hand, a corn dog in this hand, and I'm gonna choke it down with a pile of hush puppies."
Then he used an illustration about the boy with the loaves and fishes and the baskets of food left over.  Needless to say, perch was brought up and several other things too.  When services concluded, we had been fed real good on the WORD of God.  But we were all craving fish, livermush, and hush puppies.  No one could decide where to go eat after church.

I got up today and went shopping at Ingles.  Bought everything we needed for a cookout and had our mothers over.  Tater-bug had to go home and we missed her being here, but Justin's friend, Evan, came over and it's always fun when he's here.
We had some good conversation and laughs, followed by a nap and a war movie.  

Today was more than just a time of food and fun.  It was about remembering our fallen soldiers.  There have been two things I've read on facebook this weekend that has stuck with me and I wanted to share them with you.  And lest you think I was being nosey again on someone's profile, I promise I have not.  These two things I read this time came from friends.

This came from Daniel and I thought it so fitting for Memorial Day:
"These heroes are dead.  They died for liberty-then died for us.  They are at rest.  They sleep in the land they made free, under the flag they rendered stainless, under the solemn pines, the sad hemlocks, the tearful willows, the embracing vines.  they sleep beneath the shadow of the clouds, careless alike of sunshine or storm, each in the windowless palace of rest.  Earth may run red with other wars-they are at peace.  In the midst of the battles, in the roar of conflicts, they found the serenity of death." --Unknown

The other came from my friend, Amanda:
"I once asked my dad, an Army Veteran who saw action, what his favorite military holiday was and its significance to him.  He said Memorial Day, and told me you don't wish a Vet a "Happy" Memorial Day.  he said memorial Day is remembering those who paid the ultimate price beside them - their war brothers and sisters, and for a Vet, there's nothing Happy about those memories.  He said Veteran's Day was for the "happy," but Memorial Day is for thanking......"