Thursday, June 18, 2009

June 18, 1992

What a day that was!

Bruce and I were living in Germany while he was serving in the Air Force. I was expecting our first baby and scared out of my mind.

It was a Wednesday afternoon when I suspected our little one was about to make his grand entrance. I didn't tell Bruce of my suspicions, just in case I was wrong. Plus I thought it would be fun to surprise him.

We went about our afternoon as usual. He sat in the living room reading and listening to music while I cooked supper before we left for church.

Bruce was teaching the RA's class at that time and I sat up in the service. Two of my church friends were sitting with me when my contractions started. We timed them through the service and at 8:00 sharp, they were five minutes apart. Pastor Hill said the closing prayer and I went to find the expectant father.

He was standing in his class room saying goodbye to a few of the little boys, "Bruce, are you ready" I asked?
"Yeah, I'll be done in just a second."
"No, honey......are you ready?"
"Ready for what?"
"Ready to be a daddy. It's time."
The look on his face was one I'll never forget. Sheer excitement mingled with sheer fear. That makes a funny expression.
We gathered our things and got on our way to Wiesbaden...a 45 minute drive. Good thing we took the autobahn, huh?

When we got to the hospital, we were checked in and put in a room where they took my vitals, hooked me up to fluids and monitors, etc. The nurse came in and stuck me several times with the IV. I looked up at Bruce, who had turned a very pale shade, and watched as he slightly swayed back and forth before falling straight to the floor. I'm pretty sure he tried to talk, but it came out like a mumble in another language. "Oh, we have a dad down, guys" I heard one nurse say. Several of them helped him up and into a chair. He sat there with a glaze covered look in his eyes for a few minutes while his brain reset.

It wasn't long before it was time to start pushing. They wheeled me into the delivery room and after a few pushes, I heard the sweetest sound I had ever heard. The faint, wee cry of my firstborn son. He was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. So precious. He weighed 7 lbs 13 ounces.

And so a new life had started. It's been seventeen years and he's been a joy from day one.

Happy Birthday, David Justin! We love you very much!