Tuesday, October 6, 2009

God's Word....A Guide Book or Just A Good Book?

I was reading a fellow bloggers post today, suggested by a facebook friend. I have never read this particular blog, but found his post interesting. I understand what the author was trying to say, however, I feel he was over zealous in his attempt. Or maybe he felt the way I perceived him to feel. He was really speaking in circles, as though trying not to be caught while being chased.

His first phrase in the post said, ""You should live by the teachings of the Bible." Sounds good, huh? We'll I don't believe it."

That grabbed my attention right away. After all, haven't we been taught from the beginning to obey the Bible?

As he expounded on this profound thought of his, I began to realize what he was saying is that we should not live by the Bible, but by Christ who lives in us. Which, on the surface, sounds good....maybe? But as I thought about this off and on today several verses came to mind about the Scripture.

He says in his post, "...the idea that you should live by the teachings of the Bible is false." LOL, ok? He turns around in the next paragraph and admits that he believes the Bible is God's inspired Word. And even quotes II Timothy 3:16,17, which says, "ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for INSTRUCTION IN RIGHTEOUSNESS." But then he turned around and said, "...if you believe that we live by the teaching of the Bible, then the Bible can become a guidebook, an instruction manual, and you can become like the Pharisees and study the Scripture, simply so that you can learn what you have to do." Do you see what I mean about talking in circles?

We must not neglect the importance of the Holy Scriptures. Yes, we must come to a saving knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, through the glorious Words of His gospel. Which you will find instructions to that in the New Testament. There are the four gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. And then we have Romans. A road map, if you will, on how to accept Christ. But besides the four gospels and the book of Romans, we have sixty-one other books. Sixty-one other books that are equally inspired. Equally important to the Christian that desires bearing fruit. The WORD of God is how God speaks to us. When we receive Christ as our Savior, the Holy Ghost makes Himself a resident within us. But if we do not read the Scripture and allow the Holy Ghost to guide us through the Scripture, how will we ever be successful at bearing fruit or obtaining righteousness?

One verse that came to mind today while reading this post was Psalm 119:105 "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." The Scripture illuminates our walk. It shines a light on our path. And then this verse, "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." To say one has studied the Bible sounds very prestigious, doesn't it? But we must do more than study it. We must know it, hide it in our hearts, and put it into practice so that we know when we are in the right or wrong. When facing decision in life, the answer is in God's Word. II Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

To say that the Bible is not a guide book or an instruction manual is like saying the grass is not green or rain is not wet.

When I have questions about life in general, whether it is how to be a parent, a friend, a wife, a Christian, I go to the Bible. What does the Bible say? After all, it is God's inspired Word, right? I am seeking His wisdom for my understanding.

The Holy Ghost lives within me, but I am still covered in flesh and my flesh wants me to do what feels right. Just because it feels right, doesn't mean it IS right. Sometimes our flesh and how we feel does not line up with Scripture. That's why Matthew 26:41 says, "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak."

Again, I understand what the author of this other blog was trying to say, but believe he was over zealous in getting it across. We can not minimize the importance of the Holy Scripture. For it is God's inspired Word. And through His Word is how He speaks to us.



"How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my
mouth."
Psalm 119:103