Thursday, June 30, 2011

When My Heart Is Overwhelmed

Meetin' got on at church last night. Many were at the alter getting their hearts mended and receiving strength from the Lord when they so desperately need it. We have a couple in our church whose eighteen year old grandson was placed in Hospice yesterday because of cancer. Their hearts are very heavy and they need much prayer. Several others with heavy burdens needing exactly what God gave them last night.
Pastor had a sermon prepared, but his sermon took another direction and he ended up preaching from Psalm 61:1-5, "Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah. For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name."
What a wonderful passage of Scripture for hurting hearts and restless minds! When our hearts are so overwhelmed with whatever trial we happen to be going through, we have a God that will attend to our very need. He will shelter us from the things that will bring us down and He will deliver us in our hour of need.