Friday, October 15, 2010

Finding God's Path...

A dear friend loaned me a wonderful book when daddy was hospitalized the other week. When things went down hill for him I put the book down and did not pick it up again until a few days ago. Sunday morning, to be exact. The book is Finding God's Path Through Your Trials.

I have to tell you that the more I read this book, the more I think she was writing it just for me. The first chapter is about counting your trials as joy.

James 1:2 "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;"

In this verse, to count, means to consider or evaluate. Consider our trials as a joy. That is a very difficult thing to do. When you feel as though you are in the depths of despair, it is difficult to count anything as joy.

But the second chapter deals with our attitude. We must make a conscience decision to be joyful through our trials. We can sit down and sulk, or we can stand up and sing. It is our decision.

Even in prison, the Apostle Paul was heard singing. Many times we find ourselves complaining and crying through our circumstances and sometimes becoming angry with God. Or questioning His love for us, even. But if we will just accept His will for our lives and count His will, especially the trials, as joy, we will be amazed at how He will fill us up to overflowing with true joy. And others will be amazed, too, as they stand back and witness God's grace in action.

"Count it all joy...."

I am finding joy in my sorrow. I never knew that losing my dad could and would bring me joy. I was a daddy's girl to the very core. But through losing him, I have found a joy that can only come from the true joy-giver. My sweet and precious, Heavenly Father.