Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dinner With Friends and New Traditions

First of all, thank you for those who have prayed for mom.  She had her first doctor's appointment since she was in the hosptial and she received a very good report.  Lungs seem to be all clear and she doesn't have to go back until after the first of the year.  Praise the Lord for the good report!
~~~~~
Last night a friend of mine took me and another friend out to dinner for Christmas.  We had such a great time.  We sat and talked at the restaurant for a while, laughing and telling stories.  It was so FUN!  She also gave us each a Bath and Body Works wallflower...Frosted Cranberry.  I plugged it in as soon as I got home.  It smells sooooo good! 
When we left the restaurant she took us to a neighborhood where a couple of the houses had their lights set to a radio station.  So we listened to Christmas music and watched as the lights danced to the music.  It was so beautiful and I can't wait to take Bruce and the kids to see them.
We weren't ready for the night to end so we ended up sitting at Dairy Queen and laughing at more funny stories.  I always come home feeling refreshed after dinner with those two.  I love my buddies!
~~~~~
We put the tree up and decorated yesterday.  Everything looks festive now.  Our calendar is pretty well filled up until January 5th.  So yesterday really kicked off our season and we are now into the full swing of the holiday festivities.
~~~~~
Today began a new tradition for our family.  I found a recipe for Grinch cookies on Pinterest and decided we would have a "Grinch Day."  So for lunch I used my Christmas china and fixed a yumm-o-licious lunch and afterward, I served the Grinch cookies with Grinch punch and we watched the classic version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  It was fun and the family liked it.  This will be one tradition we'll keep.  :)

Here's the recipe for the punch and cookies:

The punch is simple... I used the Hawaiian Green Berry Rush, 2lt Ginger Ale, and a can of Pineapple juice. You can stick those in the freezer until they're slushy or keep them in the fridge overnight so they'll be cold when you mix it. But you'll want to taste it as you mix to make sure you get all the flavors just the way you like it. And if you're feeling really Grinchy, you could add some lime sherbet floating on top. Oh yum, yes!


Under normal circumstances I don't like to use a premade cookie mix. Especially around the holidays. But since this was my first time making this I followed the directions and used one pouch of sugar cookie mix. However, I don't see why you couldn't use your favorite sugar cookie recipe.

*1 pouch of Sugar Cookie Mix
*1/2 c butter or margarine, softened
*1/4 to 1/2 tsp mint extract (My men do not like mint. So I did not add this.)
*6 to 8 drops of green food coloring.
*1 egg
*1 c creme de menthe baking chips. (Again...my men. I made half a batch mint free, and half a batch with the Nestle's Dark Chocolate and Mint Morsels.
*1 c semi sweet chocolate chips
Heat oven to 350* In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, extract, food coloring and egg until softened dough forms.
Stir in baking chips and chocolate chunks.
Drop dough 2" apart on cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 min until set.
Cool 3 min on pan, transfer to wire rack for complete cooling.
Serve warm or cold. Store tightly at room temperature.