Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday's Menu: Chicken Tater Tot Casserole

Today's Pinterest recipe is Chicken Tater Tot Casserole.  You make this in the crock pot so it's really easy clean up on those busy days.  Who doesn't like that?? 
Big hit with the family.  My honest opinion is that it was good, however, I don't think it could be considered great.  My family, on the other hand, loved it and said it was a definite keeper for the cookbook.  The council has spoken and it will be added. :)
I tweaked this recipe to the size of my family.  I didn't really double it, but I did add a little extra of each ingredient.

Here's the original recipe:
One 32 oz bag of Tater Tots
One pound of chicken breast
1/2 cup of bacon bits
2 cups, shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus extra for topping
3 green onions
salt and pepper
3/4 cups milk

Cut chicken into bite size pieces and thinly slice green onions
Layer half the tater tots in the bottom of your crock pot
Top with 1/3 bacon bits, 1/3 cheese, 1/3 green onion
Add all the chicken on top of this and add salt and pepper
Layer on another 1/3 bacon bits, 1/3 cheese, and 1/3 green onion
Layer on the rest of the tater tots, followed by the rest of the bacon bits, cheese, and green onions
Pour 3/4 cups of milk, evenly over the top
Cover and cook on high, 4 to 6 hrs.  Mine was done in about 4 1/2.  To check it, I just made sure the chicken was cooked through.

This recipe was pinned from Lisa's Dinnertime Dish.  I look forward to checking out more of her recipes.