Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Missing the Key Ingredient For Sweetness

Living here in the Piedmont of the Carolinas we get very little snow.  So when it happens there is a lot of excitement.


When we were told we were going to get three to six inches...which I'm pretty sure we only got one and a half...I had Harrison place a pot in the yard to collect snow for snow cream. 


By the time it had stopped snowing, Harrison ended up having to carefully collect clean snow himself. 


He brings in the pot and I start making the snow cream.  I added milk and a box of vanilla pudding because someone suggested using that instead of vanilla flavoring.  I could taste it, but it still didn't taste as vanilla as I liked.  So I added vanilla flavoring too.  It basically tasted like snow with vanilla flavoring.  Still needed something.  I decided to add a little sweetened condensed milk, hoping it would sweeten up.  It didn't.  So more flavoring I added.  It was ok, but not like mom used to make. 


As we were sitting there "enjoying" our snow cream, Hannah asked, "Did you add sugar?"


We all heard crickets for a second as I realized that, no, I did not add sugar.  What was I thinking?  That's like the first ingredient you should add to snow cream.  I was missing the key ingredient to sweetness. 


Of course we laughed about it and I remedied the situation by adding sugar.  It was so much better that time.  And we all truly enjoyed our treat.


As I thought about this little kerfuffle, I compared it to life with Christ.  He is a key ingredient.... no wait.... He is THE key ingredient to life. 


Without Him added to our lives, each and every day, life can become bitter and blah.  The Bible says in Psalm 34:8 "O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him."


I hope you're not missing THE key ingredient to a sweet life.  If you are, there's a remedy for that.  Romans 10:9 says, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that GOD hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."


"O taste and see that the LORD is good:"  What a sweetness He adds to our days!